Low-cost carrier Frontier announced plans today for a major expansion of flying at Miami International Airport this fall. The airport is already at record levels for passenger count.
Frontier first launched service to Miami in 2014 and has become the fifth busiest airline at the airport, with 725,000 total passengers in 2018.
The airline will add a total of 28 weekly flights and six additional routes in November, for a total weekly departures count of 57.
The new Miami schedule will include:
- Hartford/Springfield (three weekly beginning November 14)
- San Juan (three weekly beginning November 14)
- Boston (four weekly beginning November 15)
- Detroit (four weekly beginning November 15)
- New York LaGuardia (daily beginning November 14)
- Chicago O’Hare (daily beginning November 14)
- Las Vegas (daily beginning September 10)
- Cincinnati (four weekly beginning October 10)
- Cleveland (four weekly beginning October 10)
Frontier currently operates 14 weekly flights from MIA: daily flights to Denver; four weekly flights to Philadelphia; and three weekly flights to Atlanta.
Even before the newly added service, MIA is already boasting a record high passenger count. Overall passenger count is up 3.43% through May compared to the same period last year. Passenger count in May 2019 was up less than 1 percent over May 2018, however.
The full year 2018 was also record breaking for passenger count at the airport.
Source: The Next Miami